Friday, July 20, 2012

Nora and Nathan (and Amanda and Tad)

Everyone has a Nora Ephron story to share, or at least everyone who writes for The New Yorker.

Nathan Englander just published his on Page-Turner, The New Yorker's books blog. In the short essay, Mr. Englander reminisces about writing a play with Ms. Ephron, lessons she taught him on form and structure, lunch at Barney Greengrass (of course!) and a particular almond cake recipe.

"Nora once had me and my wife over for a birthday dinner where she served an almond cake. The best I’ve ever had. I asked for the recipe (not because I’m much of a baker, but because seeing Nora bake made me think baking was the greatest thing around). The point is, Nora gave me the recipe."



But it seems it wasn't Ms. Ephron's recipe to give. It was actually Tad Friend's mom's, who gave it to her daughter-in-law Amanda Hesser, who gave it to Nora Ephron, who gave it to Nathan Englander. 


Not that anyone seems to mind, as long at the record is set straight. 


Because the cake isn't really just a cake, you see. It's the advice that Ms. Ephron gave - if it doesn't come out well, cover it with strawberry and powdered sugar. Just like life.

Good advice, sure. But it left us craving Mrs. Friend's desserts and a rom-com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment